If you are reading this, you have probably played poker ‘a bunch’ and are quite enjoying it. But do you want to play poker 5-6 times a week for the rest of your life? It may seem like poker is the only thing you want to do right now, but in a few years’ time you may think otherwise!
Also take into account the variance involved. Slot online Indonesia It is possible that you may have been running above expectation. In poker, downswings are inevitable and you have to be able to handle it. Downswings can be very tough and cruel. Be prepared for them, because no matter how good you are, it will happen to you.
You need to be completely immersed in poker and know about pretty much everything related to poker. You need to have that urge to play poker every single day if you want to become a professional poker player.
What Skills Are Required To Become a Professional Poker Player?
Another factor to consider is how good you really are at poker. Are you really cut out for it? Most people aren’t. Here are some of the qualities that you need to become a successful professional poker player:
- Have good temperament, discipline and self-control.
- You need to be fairly intelligent. You don’t need to be a genius, but if you are always bottom of your Math’s class then reconsider your career.
- Have a reasonable mathematical background – you need a general understanding of odds and variance.
- You need to be competitive, but at the same time be able to put your ego aside.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good at reading people.
- Have a good knack for games and gambling. This is similar to in business where people talk about having a good ‘business acumen’ – the term sounds a lot like bulls*** but in fact it matters enormously!
- You should generally be a positive person.
- Able to handle pressure.
- Be able to pick yourself up during bad times.